Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Last Day in Utah Ends in Grand Slam


On my last day in the frozen tundra, I rather enjoyed the folks I talked to and the films I saw, with one glaring exception. I started the day with a sweet film called SLEEPWALK WITH ME,
about a struggling and not too funny comedian who lives with the lovely Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under) and struggles with insecurity, fear of commitment and a case of sleepwalking sickness that sends him into some precarious situations. It was a really nice film, nice story and liked the actor who had a running dialogue with the audience. The next movie, COMPLIANCE is barely worth the words I write, but I will only to say - why was this movie made? It's a sick story, quite misogynistic in nature. Hopefully it will just stay as the filmmakers fantasy. Thank goodness I ended the day and my Utah festival with UNDER AFRICAN SKIES, a fabulous documentary about the making of Paul Simon's masterpiece album,
GRACELAND. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't remember the huge dust-up that occurred when he broke the UN sanctioned cultural boycott when he visited South Africa at the height of Apartheid to work with the local musicians and build the album from roots of local artists. So glad that was my last film of the festival. Today I'm winging to Houston. Two of our theatres, the Sundance Kabuki in San Francisco and our new Sundance Houston are participating in Sundance Film Festival USA tomorrow. This is a great program the Festival started where filmmakers and their films are whisked to 9 different cities (mid-Fest), for a presentation that mirrors the Sundance Film Festival. Both shows have sold out, and we're so happy to be a part of this again this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment